What Are The Best Car Seat Cushion For Long Drives That Are Available In 2017?
Driving a vehicle for more than three or four hours a day can prove to be uncomfortable. Not all car seats are comfortable, and some do not offer you and back or lumbar support for longer rides.
To help minimize the aches and pains associated with long drives, many people utilize a seat cushion to give you a little extra cushioning and support for your backbone and spine, but what is the best car seat cushion for long drives?
- What Are The Benefits Of A Seat Cushion?
- What Are The Different Types Of Seat Cushions?
- What Are Some Considerations To Make Before Purchasing A Seat Cushion?
- Reviews Of 5 Best Seat Cushions For Long Drives In 2016
What Are The Benefits Of A Seat Cushion?
Seat cushions are used to add padding your seat, as sitting in an uncomfortable, hard chair can give you aches and pains that you do not want to deal with. When you drive for an extended period of time, a seat cushion can be a way to ensure that you sit up straight in the vehicle.
This is especially great for long rides in a car, because I have found that I tend to slouch after driving for an hour or two, which is not great for your spine. Having a seat cushion will relieve some of the pressure on your thighs, pelvic bone, spine, and tailbone, which gives you the added support and comfort that you need during a long drive.
If you find yourself in a lot of discomfort after a long trip, then take a look at these tips to help alleviate your back pain.
What Are The Different Types Of Seat Cushions?
Seat cushions are not all created the same, so it is up to you to find a cushion that will reduce the pain that you are feeling. Are you sitting up straight when you drive? Is that padding on the seat in the vehicle too thin? Once you figure out the source of your pain, you will have a better idea how to fix the issue.
Before you purchase a seat cushion, make sure that you have an ergonomic set up in your car. You need to have the seat at a certain angle as well as the chair height, and this setting is different for everyone.
Check out this video to help you make the adjustments that you need to be comfortable during a long road trip.
Once you know the proper seat adjustment to make, it is important to know the different types of seat cushions that are available to you. Here is a rundown of the most popular options on the market:
Standard Seat Cushions
These types of seat cushions are designed to be placed directly over the portion of the seat that you sit on. They are flat cushions that are designed to be small and simple, which makes them easy to transport to and from the vehicle before or after a long trip.
These cushions simply remove the pressure on your tailbone and spine, which gives you a more comfortable ride. The compact design makes this device a viable option for cars, office chairs, airplanes, and any location where you will be sitting for a long period of time.
Lumbar And Back Support Seat Cushions
These types of cushions are designed to reduce pain in the lower back. A properly sized cushion will help you sit with a properly aligned spine, which means that slouching will be minimized. Since you will be sitting in a better posture with this seat cushion, it will also help you feel more alert during the trip.
Full Seat Cushions
This style of seat cushion offers both of the previous types of support that we have discussed. The seats are less convenient to carry from location to location, but they offer complete support that will allow you to experience a comfortable ride that is free from aches and pains.
What Are Some Considerations To Make Before Purchasing A Seat Cushion?
Does The Size And Shape Of The Seat Cushions Fit Your Car?
Most cushions differ in size and shape, so it is important to make sure that the seat cushion that you select will not be too small or too large for your vehicle’s seat. The better the cushion fits your seat and your body, the more support it will offer you.
Does The Cushion Give You The Support That You Desire?
Do you need spine support, lumbar support, or both? Make sure to get a seat cushion that addresses you needs, not one that you think will simply look good in your car.
How Easy It Is To Secure In A Vehicle?
One of the reasons that you are looking into a car seat cushion is to make sure that you are not slouching and giving yourself back pains, so make sure that the cushion is easy to secure to the car seat. You do not need a cushion that slips around and causes your body to jerk when you are driving.
How Easy It Is To Clean The Seat Cushion?
When you travel, you may eat food or drink coffee on the go, so make sure to purchase a cover that is easy to wipe down. Some cushions even have removable covers that can be thrown into a washing machine to get them clean.
Reviews Of 5 Best Seat Cushions For Long Drives In 2016
1. Sunrise Pro Premium Memory Foam Orthopedic Seat Cushion
This Sunrise Pro seat cushion features an orthopedic design that is shaped to decrease spine, hip, and tailbone pressure, which is a great way to eliminate the aches and pains associated with sitting for long periods of time. The seat is designed with an open back that allows your tailbone to be suspended above the seat.
You will be elevated approximately 2.4 inches while using this pillow, and when this feature is combined with the ergonomic curve of the seat, you will be sitting with an almost perfect posture that’s bound to keep your spine aligned.
The memory foam cushion is designed to maintain its shape and firmness as it provides years of comfort. It features a compact design that is light enough to take on a plane when you travel, but still thick enough to provide you with the support you need; in fact, I wish I had this cushion the last time I flew in an airplane, as it would have provided a great amount of comfort for that five hour flight.
Another convenient feature is that the cover of this cushion is removable, which makes it a breeze to wash when the time comes. If you are not happy with this cushion, the manufacturer has also included a 60 day money back guarantee.
- The cushion is fitted with a non-slip bottom that prevents it from sliding off of your chair.
- The cushion contours perfectly to your lower body and spine.
- The cushion has a clip on strap that secures the cushion in place.
- This device is extremely portable; in fact, it comes with a convenient carry case that can be used during times of travel.
- It also provides a nice amount of height for shorter individuals.
- It features a breathable memory foam construction the does not get flat.
- This cushion is not that forgiving, so this could be a disadvantage for some.
- The hump in the front of the cushion may not be comfortable for some, especially males.
- The dimensions of the cushion seem a bit short for the seats of larger vehicles, so take that into account before making a purchase.
- This cushion is stiff for the first few days of use.
2. LoveHome Memory Foam Back Cushion
The LoveHome Cushion is designed to be used in a car to give you lumbar support, which will help to provide you with a comfortable ride for an extended period of time. The memory foam design will contour to your body, which will help you to sit up straight instead of slouching as you drive.
This improved posture is great for your posture as well as your circulation. The seat cushion is designed to fit into the natural curve of the seat of your vehicle, so you will not need to worry about it shifting as you drive.
The unit has an adjustable strap that allows you to place the unit exactly where it is required, so that means that you can have the exact amount of lower and mid back support that you need for long trips. The additional spine and lumbar support from this cushion will help you to reduce the amount of aches and pains that you feel because your spine is not aligned properly.
The cushion is machine washable, so you can easily remove stains or dirt that accumulate over time. If you want additional support for your neck, a matching neck pillow can also be purchased.
- The cushion fits well in any car seat; in fact, it even fits easily in customized sports car seats.
- This cushion and the neck support pillow make a perfect combination that supplies comfort and support for your entire back.
- It can easily be positioned to accommodate any back pains.
- This cushion is perfect for eliminating any slouching that you may normally do while driving.
- The unit is extremely easy to install in any vehicle in minutes.
- Can be difficult to position the cushion to the perfect location for each individual who uses it in the vehicle.
- Prolonged use in hot weather can leave the cushion feeling hot against the back of some, as the fabric does not seem to be very breathable.
- This is not a very compact cushion design, so it takes up a lot of space, which means that it may not be the best cushion to use for travel outside of your car.
3. Big Ant Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
The Big Ant seat cushion features an orthopedic style design that is made from a memory foam material that will contour to the shape of your body.
It offers a great amount of support for your lower back, and it is especially helpful for relieving pain from spinal issues such as sciatica, herniated discs, tailbone injuries, but it is also great for relieving back pain that is associated with pregnancy and long periods of sitting in the same position.
The cushion itself is about 2.75 inches thick, which is the perfect thickness to give you a level of comfort that is perfect for a vehicle. The unit is made from 100 percent memory foam, so you do not have to worry about the cushion going flat with repeated use.
The back of the cushion is designed to leave your tailbone floating on air, as there is an opening in the cushion that relieves the pressure on your spine and tailbone. The cover of the cushion is removable, so it is not difficult to keep the cushion clean.
In addition, the manufacturer has included a convenient cleaning cloth with the purchase of this product, to make it even easier to simply wipe the cushion clean.
- This cushion provides the perfect thickness for extended car rides, as it does not go flat from sitting on it for several hours.
- It is a very versatile design that is able to easily fit on most types of chairs.
- The contoured shape conforms to your thighs to give you the perfect relief of pressure from your tailbone.
- It is a great cushion for someone with hip issues to utilize, as it will help keep your hips aligned.
- The compact design makes this cushion a great product to take on a plane or to take to a sporting event.
- There is no strap to secure the cushion to the seat, so if you move a lot during a long drive, the cushion may move out of place.
- It is a great length for most chairs, but for larger vehicles, you may find that it does not go to the edge of the seat, which could be uncomfortable for some.
4. Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion
The Kieba Coccyx seat cushion is designed to relieve pain and tension in your lower back that is created from sitting in the same position for a long period of time.
The cushion is comprised from memory foam, and the top of the seat is fitted with gel technology, which is capable of keeping the seat cool as you drive down the road. This feature keeps the cushion from absorbing your body heat, which means that long periods of sitting in the same position will be more comfortable.
The foam and gel combination is designed to create a layer of support that will not easily become flat with use, so you will be able to use this product for years without needing to replace it.
This product features an ergonomic design that is great for relieving pressure on your tailbone. It features a slightly larger design than many of the current seat cushions on the market, so that allows the cushion to provide comfort to a larger area of your body.
It can be positioned on any surface, and the velour cover that is on the cushion can easily be removed to make cleaning it a breeze. In addition, this cushion also features a non-slip bottom that keeps it in the same position as you drive.
- It is made from a sturdy material that does not collapse with repeated use for long periods of time.
- The gel on the top of the cushion adds a layer of comfort that you will appreciate after several hours of sitting in the same position.
- The non-slip material on the bottom of the cushion makes it the perfect candidate for being used in a wheelchair.
- There is no need to adjust the cushion when you travel, as it has an ergonomic design that will be comfortable for several hours.
- The cushion tends to have a weird odor when you first receive it, but it will diminish over time.
- The ridges of the cushion are a bit pronounced, so it may be uncomfortable around the legs of some.
- The cushion is very hard when it is first purchased, but this does improve after a bit of use.
5. BackGuard Premium Lumbar Support Cushion
The Backguard Premium is a seat cushion that sports a lightweight, compact design that is easy to take anywhere on your travels. It can be used on almost any seat, and the strap design helps you keep it in place.
The product is designed with the perfect curve, which is designed to accommodate the natural curve of your lower back. This means that by sitting with this cushion, you will automatically be encouraged to sit up straight and maintain a posture that will support your back properly.
This cushion is designed to remove the pressure and tightness that you often feel after sitting in the same position for an extended period of time. It is firm enough to give you the support that you need, while soft enough to give you the comfort you want for a long car ride.
The mesh cover is made from a breathable material that will keep your back cool, and to make it easy to clean the cushion, the cover is removable, and it is also machine washable. This product also comes with a convenient 90 day, no questions asked guarantee, so if you are not happy with the product, you can easily return it if you are unhappy or need a replacement.
- The design of his cushion is great for improving your posture while you drive for long distances, which can be a way to eliminate back pain in the future.
- The shape of the cushion is perfect for your lower back, as it contours to the shape of your spine and relieves any pressure or pain that you may be experiencing.
- The buckle on the back of the product is great for positioning the cushion to fit your specific needs.
- It features a compact design that can easily be used in an airplane as well as a car or truck.
- The design of this cushion may not be great for taller individuals, as it pushes you forward in the seat, which may make your head sit closer to the ceiling.
- The cushion may not properly fit into the contour of the bucket seats of some sports cars.
- This cushion tends to have an odor when you first purchase it, but that odor will diminish with time.
As you can see from this guide, there are a plethora of different styles of seat cushions that you can choose from, but the key is to find the best cushion for your needs.
Taking all five of the products that we’ve reviewed into account, we have decided that the LoveHome Memory Foam Back Cushion is the best car seat cushion for long drives. It is the cushion that offers you the most support; in fact, there is even a matching neck cushion to give you additional support.
It has the most versatile design, as it curves to the back of the seat that you are sitting in, so it can easily be installed into any vehicle, including a sports car with bucket seats. The one drawback is that it is not a very compact design, but if you are getting this cushion for your car, then it is the best option in our opinion.
Take the time to do your own research, as the car seat cushion that is best for you will depend on your body and your support needs.