Driving should be comfortable. It should be something that you enjoy and not something that you dread because it is uncomfortable. A lot of drivers are unaware that they can improve and even enjoy their morning commutes, cross-country road trips, or weekend adventures by using a simple car cushion.
Seat cushions for cars can help maximize your comfort for long drives and are great to reduce the aches and pains of back pain.
In this article, we will cover what you need to look for before buying the best car seat cushions, the benefits of using them, and give our top 5 recommendations for which car seat cushions we think have performed well and would be a great addition to any driving experience.
Also Check:- Best Car Seat Cushion for Long Drives
What To Look For Before Buying Seat Cushions
1. Read The Reviews
This is just about the best type of advice that you can get because you are hearing directly from customers and consumers that have tried these products out first hand.
You can also see how well (and how long) a product has performed with its simple 5-star rating system.
2. Quality Vs. Quantity
There are a bunch of different styles and types of seat cushions out there. Some of them are cheaper than others and some are actually really great. One simple rule of thumb to follow is to let the price function as your guide.
For the most part, if you are investing in something that costs a bit more money you will get a bit more use and satisfaction out of it. If you are just looking for an extra layer of padding for a slightly more comfortable ride, this will not be that big of a deal to you.
3. Full Or Partial Support
In the most basic sense, seat cushions can be divided into three categories of support: minimal, medium and full.
- Minimalistic support looks like a small square of gel or foam or air that you sit on.
- Medium support will support your lower back as well as give you something comfortable to sit on.
- Full support usually means investing in a seat cushion that rises and supports your back as far up as the neck goes.
Depending on what your needs are and what your doctor is recommending, this will be important to consider.
Benefits Of Using Seat Cushions
- Provide an extra boost of added comfort and support for long drives.
- Makes driving, whether it is for long periods of time or short periods of time, more enjoyable.
- Can help prevent, heal and stabilize back shoulder and neck injuries.
- Can relax neck, shoulder, back and hip muscles.
- Provides added support for the spine, especially in terms of promoting healthy posture and alignment.
- Reduces stress headaches and migraines that occur as a result of muscle tension in the back and shoulders.
How To Choose The Right Seat Cover For You
Choosing a car seat cover or a pair of nice seat cushions that compliment your body type and fulfill all of your needs can be a bit difficult. There are hundreds of options out there and, if you have never purchased something like this before, it may very be overwhelming.
Here are a few questions to consider when searching for car seat cushions:
What Do I Want?
Ask yourself what you are looking for in a car seat cushion. Perhaps your doctor has recommended something along the lines of a tempur pedic seat cushion.
Maybe you want to take the edge off of your sore muscles after work or an extremely hard workout and would like something that could massage you or heat or cool your muscles on your drive home from work.
Make a list of things that are appealing to you and ask around for them in your search. Too many questions is never a bad thing. Asking means getting the answers you want and need.
What Problem Am I Trying To Render?
Do you suffer from lower back pain, poor circulation, tense shoulders, muscle aches, migraines, etc.?
Some seat cushions are designed with these problems in mind and they are intended to help relieve them.
How Much Am I Willing To Spend?
How high-tech do I want these car cushions to be? Ergonomic, memory foam, tempur pedic, bamboo charcoal-infused, heated and cooled, etc.
There is a long list of qualities that your car seat cushion could have.
What Do You Want It To Be Made Of?
Dense memory foam, air pockets, recycled and sustainable bamboo foam, polyester, some sort of gel, etc.
In order to find the best fit for you, you may have to try a few out.
If you are looking to add extra comfort for your entire back as well as your neck consider adding an easy add-on Love Home Premium Memory Foam Car Lumbar Cushion & Car Neck Pillow Kit
Reviews Of 5 Fabulous Seat Cushions In 2016
This orthopedic seat cushion provides top-notch support for lower back pain and sciatica. Reviews are high, coming in at 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon, and customers are happy with this product, giving it stellar reviews and recommending it to all of their friends.
While this seat cushion is only $22.00, it performs like it is far more expensive.
- Made from bamboo charcoal memory foam which helps to reduce odor by controlling the humidity within the seat cushion as it is naturally thermoregulating and moisture resistant.
- Built with high-quality memory foam that has been drilled for maximal ventilation and breathability.
- Has ample padding.
- Features a breathable, non-slip, removable and washable cover that won’t move around just because you are.
- The memory foam is not very dense and flattens upon contact and under body weight
- May initially have a slight chemical smell to it
- Slightly smaller than other similar car seat cushions
- Weighs a little bit more than other seat cushions
If you are looking for a seat cushion that is comfortable, will help relieve and prevent lower back pain as well as offer great support and is still affordable, this could be a great option for you. The cover is made from 100% polyester.
This seat cushion is currently a Best-Selling item on Amazon. Apparently, Aylio, the company that designed this comfort foam seat cushion, is doing something right because this product has received over 8,000 reviews and has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
This comfort foam seat cushion was designed with a rear cut out in the back of the cushion to provide relief from aches and back pain by significantly (as many reviewers have attested to) reducing pressure on the tailbone.
- Versatile: This seat cushion is made to go wherever you do. It is made to travel with you to the office, in the car, to the stadium while you sit back, relax and watch a great game, on the plane, in the wheelchair, on a park bench, sitting on the ground, etc. Wherever you sit, it can fit.
- Relief: Reduces unnecessary pressure on the coccyx, tailbone and hip bones
- Prevention: Assists in relief and treatment of lower back pain, numbness and discomfort related to sciatica
- Easy To Clean: Features a velour cover that slips right off and is machine washable
- Brings Balance To The Body: Promotes healthy weight distribution, healthy posture and spinal alignment
- Works great for all body types, shapes and sizes including pregnant women and big and tall men
- Lack of tapering at the front end of the cushion has been known to cause the legs to fall asleep and become numb
- The cover tends to shift while you are seating on it and moves to all of the wrong places
- Offers minimal back support and is not suited for those with medium to major back issues and pain
- Is a little bit too high for use in the car
- The cushions deflate and shrink rather quickly (within the first few weeks) and leave the cushion cover sagging and baggy around it
If you are prone to spending lengthy amounts of time on the computer, sitting at work or enduring lots of long-distance drives, this might be a good option for you as it will provide comfort and relief and you can easily transport it wherever you go.
While this seat cushion scores just under 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, I think it has a lot going for it. Perhaps people are not sure what to do with something so different, so innovative, so creative and cutting-edge. This chair stands out, even if it is only because it is extremely different from all of the other seat cushions out there. It is definitely worth taking a closer look at.
While other seat cushions focus on fluff and padding as their key components, BackJoy SitSmart takes a slightly different approach to the problem and works to relieve back pain from a different perspective and begins “from the ground up” by enforcing good posture and promoting spinal health. This seat cushion is great for the office or for the car and can also be taken with you wherever you go.
This is one of the leading and most innovative devices that has been invented to relieve back pain and provide comfort for long drives or long days in the office. Its unique design and cutting-edge technology work by tilting your hips upright and “floating” your spine in a comfortably curved position just above your hips, which is how we are meant to be standing.
- Features an optional soft black fabric covering or comes in bright, bold colors
- Works on any type of seat
- Has a waterproof base and covering that provides long-term use
- Designed with a relatively small audience in mind and works best for adults weighing 100-300 pounds
- Is not a one-size fits all seat cushion
- Works well on a hard, wooden chair but no so well on a cushioned chair.
- Plastic covering generates heat and feels warm on your bottom
- Too hard to comfortably sit on
If you are prone to sitting hunched over in front of a computer screen for long periods of time, this seat could be a good fit for you, as opposed to some of the fluffy or cushiony ones, because it promotes healthy posture which relieves head, neck, shoulder and back pain in the long run. This is preventative and relief at its finest.
The Plush Modern memory foam seat cushion is scoring a 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. While it is also incorporating some innovative technologies it is a rather tradition, yet well-made, car seat cushion that is great for driving in any type of vehicle and sitting in any type of seat.
When a company’s motto is “Your bum will feel as happy as a plum!” how could you not try this out?
- This product is Doctor recommended
- This seat doubles as a booster seat for shorter drivers that need a little boost of elevation
- Ergonomic design forms to the body and latches on like a glove in order to provide maximum comfort for any situation like motor vehicles, at your kitchen table, in the dining room, outdoors at a park, wheelchairs, office chairs, etc
- Utilizes an innovative non-slip cushion cover that helps you stay in place and stay comfortable as it wicks away moisture and remains breathable
- This product comes with a complete customer satisfaction guarantee, meaning that if you are not entirely satisfied you can get all of your money back. Now, that seems to be worth the risk, does it not?
- Slightly larger and wider than most car seat cushions making it a bit more comfortable for heavy set persons or big and tall men and women
- Thick memory foam offers extra stability for support and relief from back pain and claims to maintain form after years of extensive and regular use
- Feels very firm to the touch, without much cushion to it, like you are sitting on a wooden chair
- Too hard and too high for use in a car
- While some complain that it is too high or too hard to use in the card, others complain that it is too soft and too short
An additional perk of this product is that it is made, unlike many other seat cushions, in the USA. If you like to shop local, this is a great choice.
Finally, this product comes with a warranty that ensures your full satisfaction and enjoyment. While it does cost a bit more than your average seat cushion, it is well worth the money.
- This item supports the full-back and lumbar areas as it includes one gel seat back cushion and one gel seat cushion
- Made in the USA
- Designed to fit in most vehicles or lounge chairs
- Combats fatigue and sleep-resistance as it provides energy for long-haul commuting, cross-country road trips or your every-day driving
- Every bit of this cushion comes in contact with the user’s body providing gel-based body comfort and conformity that relaxes and cools the body, reduces stress and keeps your muscles relaxed
- Stretchable, flexible lycra/neoprene cover for added comfort and silky feeling
- Safe for washing, easily removed and stains wiped away easily
- Heavy, weighing in at 10 pounds
- Best used in a car and not very versatile for other uses
- Is quite short and does not fit big and tall men or tall women
If you are looking for something with a bit more coverage than your average seat cushion, this could be a great product for you. Support comes in the form of a soft gel padding that soothes everything from your shoulders to your sitting bones and all of those muscles in between.
Best Overall Car Seat Cushion
It may be safe to say that the BackJoy Sit Smart Seat Cushion is by far the most innovative and unique seat cushion that has debuted in the auto industry as of late. While it is still fairly new and is a relatively different structure than most car seat cushions, it seems to be tackling the problem of back pain from a holistic and “ground-up” solution. Still, it is only performing at 4.4 stars out of 5. I think it is just new to people and in a few years, this one could take off.
For now, however, it would be hard to select anything other than the Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion for Lower Back, Tailbone and Sciatica Pain Relief which has had over 8,000 user reviews and is an astonishing 4.5 out of 5 stars.
With this much hype and this many users, it seems to be working and working very well. The Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat also embodies and contains all of the values that were aforementioned in good qualities to look for when buying a car seat cushion. It scores very well on the following values:
- It has great reviews on Amazon and you can read all about what people like and dislike about this product which will help inform and educate you as you prepare to make a decision to purchase it
- It is high quality, yet affordable, and utilizes top-notch technology as well as soft seating, support, preventative care and promotes healthy posture and relieves back pain
- It provides users with gentle, yet strong, medium-level support which is a great in-between and compromise for most people
- It can be used anywhere and on any type of seat making it extremely versatile
- It is easily portable, which means that you can take it wherever you go and always enjoy a comfortable seat
If you are looking to enhance your driving experience and want to indulge in an extra comfortable commute, try looking into a car seat cushion. Car seat cushions can provide added support for your lower and upper back, lumbar region, coccyx, head, neck and shoulders.
They can also relieve and even prevent minor back pain as they work to promote good posture and evenly distribute the body’s weight so that unwanted and unnecessary pressure is taken off of the spinal cord and out of the muscles.
Finally, car seat cushions can give drivers the added boost that they need to relax and feel great on the drive or simply sit a bit higher for it.